Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 50 Tallahassee to Wakulla Springs

I am in a place of sanctuary and refuge that does not have Internet service. I will update tomorrow when I return to civilization. Here is an entry from a few days ago that failed to post.

Day 46 Rest Day Pensacola

Pensacola by all appearances is peaceful and tranquil. It has a European history spanning over 400 years, claiming to be America's oldest European establishment. Permanent settlement here has been disrupted historically by territorial disputes, wars, and the ever reoccurring hurricanes. Five different national flags have flown over Pensacola. Pensacola is a very old city, but has surprisingly few buildings over 150 years of age. It is a testament and a reminder of the destructive power of human conflict and nature.

Today was a much needed day of rest. I visited museums, walked galleries, and enjoyed the city. I had my hair cut by a barber who related a story of a cyclist recently killed here, whose hair he had cut. The cyclist was at the end of a long distance, charitable ride. Next the barber told me a Blue Angel pilot whose hair he had cut, who had crashed his jet and died. He gave me a nice cut, but he may have been bad luck. It ain't over till it's over, but tomorrow I will be back on the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment